home page
glass notes
photo library
shop windows
next page
previous page
e-mail us

A - B C - D E - G H - K L - M N O P Q - R S T - V W - Z

glassware manufacturers: N to P

Nachtmann, F X
Neustadt, Germany (1834 to present)

Cut clear & overlaid crystal
(several old catalogues, from 1955 to 1963, can be seen at

Nailsea Glasshouse, The
near Bristol, England (1788 - 1870)

Founded as
The Nailsea Crown Glass & Bottle Manufacturers by William Chance, John Robert Lucas & Edward Homer. Robert Lucas Chance left to acquire The British Crown Glass Co (at the Spon Lane Glassworks) in Birmingham in 1824 (later forming Chance Brothers, which eventually bought out the Nailsea Glasshouse in 1870)

Nancy, Cristalleries de
Nancy, France (1922 - 1934)

Situated directly opposite Daum factory, from whom it poached several workers. Acid-cameo and/or wheel-cut cased Art Deco vases, cologne-bottles etc., often in limited editions of 100. Michel Colle

Nason, Giampaolo
Murano, Venice, Italy (current)

Giampaolo Nason. Murano glass fashion jewelry and accessories, Venetian mirrors, picture frames, beads & tassels

Nason & C., Società Operaja Arturo
Murano, Venice, Italy (late 19th - early 20th C)

Ovidio Nason, Vittorio Zuffi

Nason & C., Vincenzo
Murano, Venice, Italy (current)

Art glassware, lighting & bathroom accessories

Nason & Moretti, Cristalleria
Murano, Venice, Italy (1925 to present)

Ugo & sons Antonio/Giuseppe/Vincenzo/Umberto Nason. Ulderico/Pietro/Vincenzo/Germano Moretti. Umberto Nason (1949-64), Ugo Nason (1964-), Paolo Nason (1970), Marco Nason (1980-), Giorgio Nason (1982-), Piero Nason (1992-)

National Glass Co
London, England (c 1900 - c 1939)

Charles J Pratt, importer of American pressed glass (Chippendale KrysTol, Balmoral, Georgian & Victorian patterns). 1930 established manufacturing plant in York at former York Glass Co. Also other pressed tableware, machine-made cut & etched tumblers & container glass (9 designs registered from 1925 to 1938)

Navarre, Henri
Paris, France (c 1925 - 1935)

Studio glass, influenced by the work of Maurice Marinot

Nazeing Glass Works
Broxbourne, Herts, England (1928 to present)

Manufacturers of mainly industrial glassware (see also current British glassworkers: N to R). Last 'descendant' of the great Vauxhall (London) factories, (Duke of Buckingham’s, George Ravenscroft’s, Dawson Bowles, Albert Glass Works), founded in 1612 by Sir Edward Zouche. George Ravenscroft owned the factory before John Bowles took over. Reginald G Kempton & his father Richard Kempton , who had founded the Southwark Glass Works in 1920, moved the company to Broxbourne in 1928, where it became The Nazeing Glass Works. Richard Kempton left in 1932. Malcolm Pollock-Hill produced a range of art glass, mainly pre-War, with some up to mid-1950s. Post-War designers include Ronnie Stennart-Willson, Roger Phillippo, John Ward CBE, Terence Conran. Wide range of domestic tableware, blown, pressed, cut and plain lead crystal, Bristol blue ware, industrial lighting and signal lenses in over 40 colours. June 2011, patented what is believed to be the World's First toxin-free crystal glass. Home to the Nazeing Glass Museum of 20th Century British Domestic Glass (Mon to Fri, 1030-1530h, admission £2.50)

Neuburger & Co, F W
London, England (c 1905 - 1914)

7 designs registered 1905-1914. Listed as 'F W Neuburger & Co, London. China & Glass Merchant'

New England Glass Co
East Cambridge, Mass., USA (1818 - 1888)

Deming Jarves (1818-1825), Henry Whitney, Joseph Locke, William L Libbey, Edward Drummond Libbey, Louis F Vaupel

NGL Crystal
West Germany (post-War)

Bohemian crystal made in Western Germany
(a catalogue of unknown date can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Noelle & von Campe Glashütten
Brückfeld, Germany (1874 to present)

Pressed glass containers & bottles

Nordböhmische Glasraffinerie & Lusterfabrik
Düren, Germany (post-war to present)

Hand-blown & cut crystal glassware
(two pattern books of unknown date can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Norsk Glasvaerk
Magnor, Norway (1950 - ?)

Decorative glassware & tableware

Northwood Glass Co
Martins Ferry, Ohio, USA (c 1880s - 1923)

Pressed glass, especially carnival glass

Novosad & Syn Harrachov, Sklárna (see Harrach)

Nový Bor Glass School (formerly: Staatsfachschule Haida)
Nový Bor, Bohemia (1870 to present)

State Trade School for glassmaking, noted for training enamellists. Louis Arthur Fritzche, Adolf Rasche, Arnold Eiselt (1907-14), Rudolph Müller (c 1909-10), Karl Lorenz (c 1909)

Nový Bor Group
Nový Bor, Czech Republic (c 1950 - ?)

Cut, cased & free-form art glassware

Nuutajärvi (a.k.a. Nuutajärvi-Notsjö)
Nuutajärvi, Finland (1793 to present)

Mainly tableware with some art glass. Gunnel Nyman (1946-8), Paul Kedelv, Kaj Franck (1950-76), Oiva Toikka (1963-), Heikki Orvola. From 1971 marketed under trade name 'Arabia'. Merged with Karhula-Iittala 1988

Nybro Crystal
Nybro, Sweden (current )

Moulded crystal

Oelzner, Ulrike & Thomas
Leipzig, Germany (known to be active 1970s - 1980s)

Studio glass. Exhibition December 1989, Leipzig Museum of Arts

Oertel, Johann
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (1869 - 1938)

Refiner of high-quality blanks, mainly cut cased glass

Oesterreichische Glashütte (see Österreichische Glashütte)

Ohio Flint Glass Co (also known as Ohio Cut Glass Co)
Bowling, Ohio, USA (1872 - 1912)

Owned by the Chicago glass refiners Pitkins & Brooks. Cut & pressed glass. Patented 'Krys-Tol' glassware (5th February 1907)

Ongaro e Fuga
Murano, Venice, Italy (1954 to present)

Artistic Venetian mirrors & engraved glassware

Oppenheim, William
London, England (c 1887 - 1925)

12 designs registered 1887-1925, under the names of William Oppenheim, Oppenheim Son Co, A Oppenheimer Co, Oppenheimer Holt, Oppenheim Holt. All are listed as importers, and we suspect all are related, despite the variations in spelling

Orford Lane Glass Works
Warrington, Lancs, England (1797 - 1901)

Initially Davies, Glazebrook & Co (1797-1802), then T K Glazebrook & Co (1802-1829), Glazebrook & Robinson (1829-1832), Thomas Robinson & Co (1832-1855), Robinson & Bolton (1855-1869, Peter Robinson leaving to found Robinson & Skinner), Edward Bolton (1869-1875), Bolton Son & Wood (1875-1877), Edward Bolton (1877-1885), Edward Bolton & Sons (1888-1892). Glassworks finally closed 1901

London, England (1940 - 1955)

Fritz Lampl from Bimini Werkstätte. Hand-blown buttons, scent-bottles, decanters & drinking-glasses, vases

Målerås, Sweden (1898 to present)

Originally an Ironworks founded 1726, converted to a glassworks 1898. Purchased by John Ekman 1913, who, with his manager Albert Ahlin, introduced art glass. Knut Bergqvist, Simon Gate (1916), Edward Hald (1917-late 70s), Edvard Strömberg (1918-28), Nils Landberg (1927-72), John Selbing (1927-73), Gustaf Abels, Gustav Augustsson, Viktor Jakobsson, Gustav Bergqvist (1920s/30s), Victor Emanuel "Vicke" Lindstrand (1928-41), Karl Edvin Öhrström (1936-58), Sven Palmqvist (1930-72), Paul Kedelv. Post-war: Ingeborg Lundin (1947), Gunnar Cyrén (1956-70), Carl Fagerlund, Eva Englund, Olle Alberius, Jan Johansson, Anne Nilsson, Lars Hellsten, Erika Lagerbielke, Martti Rytkönen. Merged 1990 with Kosta Boda, to form Orrefors Kosta Boda, which subsequently amalgamated with Kastrup-Holmegaard, Boda Nova-Höganäs Keramik & Venini to form Royal Scandinavia in 1997. The group also owns the SEA Glassworks & Glasma (a glass batch manufacturer). Since 2005 Orrefors Kosta Boda has been part of New Wave Group

Osler, F & C
Birmingham, England (1807 - c 1900)

Also retail outlets in Broad St, Birmingham & Oxford St, London. Hand-blown tableware & ornamental glass, often cut (21 designs registered from 1847 to 1900)

Österreichische Glashütte
Austria (c 1902)

1 design registered in UK in 1902. Listed as 'Oesterreichische GlashuttenGesellschaft, Austria. Glassmaker'

OstGlas (East Glass)
Weisswasser, (formerly East) Germany (post-War)

'People-owned' conglomerate of various glassworks (apparently they sponsored an excellent ice-hockey team called the 'Lausitzer Foxes'!)
(the 1950 catalogue can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Ourthe, Cristalleries et Verreries de l'
Chênée, Liège, Belgium (1822 - c 1900 )

Alexandre Amiable

Pagan Murrine
Murano, Venice, Italy (current)

Label seen on modern murrhine glass

Pagliarin & Franco
Murano, Venice, Italy (late 19th - early 20th C)

Pagnin & Bon
Murano, Venice, Italy (current)

Vases, paperweights & ornaments in polished & enamelled glass

Palda, Karl
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (1888 - 1938)

Refiner & exporter

Pallme-König & Habel
Kosten bei Teplitz (Košt'any u Teplic), Bohemia (1889 - mid 1950s)

Originally Ignaz Pallme-König Co (founded 1786), then Josef Pallme-König Co (mid 19th Century). in 1889 William Habel, assisted by Josef & Theodor Pallme-König founded the Elizabethhütte (named after his mother, Elizabeth), producing much of the raw material for Pallme-König. It officially merged with Pallme-König in 1907, forming the 'Glasfabrik Elizabeth, Pallme-König & Habel'. In 1920, became the 'Vereinigte Glasshüttenwerke Pallme-König & Habel'. Josef Velik (1910-19) with Alois Ritter. Company nationalised after World War II, absorbed into the Inwald Sklárny National Corporation

Palme & Walter KG
Gross-Umstadt, Germany (post-War)

Families deported from Steinschönau after World War II. Specialists in chandeliers & other lighting. Trade name 'PALWA'

Panizzi, Eugenio
Murano, Venice, Italy (1960 to present)

Mirrors, frames, vases, dishes, clocks, goblets & gift articles

Pantin, Cristallerie de
Pantin, Paris, France (1851 - c 1915)

Founded by E S Monot at La Villette. Moved to Pantin 1855. Formed 'Monot & Stumpf' with F Stumpf (1876) . One design registered in Britain (120760, 02-Mar-1889). When Monot retired (c 1888), Stumpf took new partners to form 'Stumpf, Touvier, Viollet & Cie.'. Camille Tutré de Varreux (1900) acid- & wheel-engraved glassware, signed 'de Vez'. Company merged with Legras & Cie after WWI (see also St Denis et Pantin)

Pargeter, Philip
Stourbridge, England (1871 - 1874)

The Red House Glass Works. From Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter. Hand-blown glass & cased blanks (4 designs registered from 1871 to 1874)

Pasabahçe Glassworks
Istanbul, Turkey (1934 to present)

Founded at the instigation of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, for the production of household, industrial & scientific glassware.Now part of the Sisecam Group

Pauly CVM (Pauly Compagnia di Venezia e Murano)
Murano, Venice, Italy (1902 to present)

Originally Pauly & C. Founded by Emilio Pauly, Alessandro Hirscber Hellman, Vittorio Emanuele Toldo & Ernesto Graziadei. Commissioning retailers & manufacturers, importing Tiffany, Gallé, Daum, Loetz & other French & Bohemian glass, from 1925 producing Art Glass of their own. Umberto Bellotto, Napoleone Martinuzzi, Guido Balsamo-Stella (all 1920s & 30s). Alfredo Barbini, Mirco Casaril. Merged with Compagnia di Venezia e Murano in 1919 (see under Venezia e Murano, Compagnia di), acquiring MVM Cappellin in 1932, & the designs of Toso Vetri d'Arte in 1990

Pavanello Malvino & Figli
Murano, Venice, Italy (c 1980s)

Malvino Pavanello, Renzo Pavanello

Peill & Putzler, Glashüttenwerke
Düren, Germany (1903 to present)

Originally Peill & Söhn, founded by Leopold Peill. Designers included Wolfgang von Wersin (art director), Georg Metzendorf, Fritz Rehm, Emanuel Seidel. Merged with Gebrüder Putzler (manufacturers of light-fittings since 1869) in 1947. Later designers include Wilhelm Wagenfeld (1952-58), Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Wilhelm Braun-Feldweg (all 1950s), Horst Tüselmann (1960s). Crystal stemware, decanters, vases, tableware etc. Acid-etched back-to-back 'P' mark from 1970. Manufacturing moved to Slovenia, Poland & Czech Republic c 1995. Filed for Bankruptcy 2004. Name still used for Wagenfeld lighting designs sold by Paul Neuhaus
(the 1979 Peill & Putzler catalogue can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Pellatt & Co, Apsley
Southwark, London, England (c 1790 - c 1875)

Apsley Pellatt (Senior) bought Falcon Glass House (est 1693). His son (also Apsley) introduced 'sulphides' to England (from France). Also made paperweights, decanters, scent-bottles, candlesticks etc. (12 designs registered from 1843 to 1874). Frederick Pellatt (c 1850). Went into partnership with John Henry Wood c 1870 (1 design registered 25/5/1871), company becoming Pellatt & Wood (1 design registered 28/3/1874)

Percival & Yates
Manchester, England (1847 - 1848)

The British & Foreign Flint Glass Works. Pressed glass (6 designs registered 1847)

Percival, Vickers & Co
Manchester, England (1867 - c 1920s)

Pressed glass (82 designs registered from 1867 to 1902). Formerly Percival, Yates & Vickers

Percival, Yates & Vickers
Manchester, England (1865 - 1866)

Pressed glass (3 designs registered 1865). Formerly Percival & Yates

Bordeaux, France (1910 - 1945)

Glass refinery, 'faux-cameo' enamelling, often in the Nancy style


Talented family of glass cutters, engravers & enamellers, beginning with Wenzel (late 18th C), his son Josef, Josef's son Alexander (1866-1943), Alexander's sons Alexander (II) (1894-1953) & Erwin (1906-1975). These last both worked for, and designed for, many of the major Bohemian manufacturers, and Alexander taught in Bohemia & Germany. His daughter Brigitte is still working today

Phoenician Glassblowers
Sliema, Malta (c 1980s to present)

Leonard Mulligan (from Mdina Glass). Hand-blown studio glass, often iridescent

Piarist Glass School
Nový Bor, Bohemia (1763 - ?)

The first of the Glass Schools in Bohemia, founded by Count Kinsky for the benefit of the glass industry. Named for the members of the Piarist Order who staffed it

Pierini, Robert & Antoine (see Vieux Moulin, Verrerie de)

Pilgrim Glass Co
USA (1949 - 2001)

Alfred E Knobler, Alessandro/ Roberto Moretti (1950s-), Mario Sandon (1963-)

Pilkington Glass
St Helens, Lancashire, England (1849 to present)

Originally St Helens Crown Glass Co, founded by John William Bell (1826), then Greenall & Pilkington (1829). Flat & industrial glassware. Bought out Chance Brothers in 1945

Pitkins & Brooks
Chicago, Illinois, USA (1872 - 1923)

Edward Hand Pitkins, William Brooks Jr. Glass refiners

Plötz & Co, Heinrich
Ottendorf, Germany (late 19th - early 20thC)

Blown & pressed functional glassware
(the 1900 catalogue can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Pohl, Karl
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (early 1900s)

With a family tradition of glass refining throughout the 19th century, Karl Pohl was a superbly talented painter & engraver in the Art Nouveau style

Portland Glass
Portland, Maine, USA (1864 - 1873)

Hand-blown & pressed glassware

Poschinger, Krystallglasfabrik Freiherr von
Frauenau, Germany (1568 to present)

Glashüttengut Zadlershütte (Zwieselau), purchased 1568 by the von Poschinger family. Over the centuries, the business expanded to include other local glassworks. Benedikt von Poschinger senior (1785-1856) married into the Glashüttengut Oberzwieselau in 1808, together with the Hilfenhütte (mirror glass - founded 1629 as Hütte am Hirschberg), & later acquired the Glashütte Oberzwieselau Theresienthal. On his death in 1856 the property was split between his son Ferdinand von Poschinger (1815-1867) who received the flat-glass & mirror-glass works (which he combined into the Buchenau Bayern Glashüttenwerke), with his other son Benedikt von Poschinger junior inheriting the rest. Past designers include Jean Beck, Peter Behrens, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Hans Christiansen, Georg Karl von Reichenbach, Richard Riemerschmid & Karl Schmoll (metalwork)
website (English version still under construction)

Powell & Sons, James
Wealdstone, Middx, England (1834 - 1961)

Formerly the Whitefriars Glass Works (est. c 1680). Acquired by James Powell 1834; name changed 1860. Moved from Blackfriars to Wealdstone 1923. Frederick Engelbert Kny (mid 19th C), Harry J/James Crofts Powell, William Butler, Joseph Francis (1900-1920s). E Barnaby Powell (1891-1939), Keith Murray (1932), Marriott Powell, Tom Hill, James H Hogan (1930s/40s), William J Wilson. Post-war: Geoffrey Baxter. See also Whitefriars

Prague School of Industrial Arts
Prague, Bohemia (1885 - ?)

Later known as the Academy of Applied Arts. Began to attract glass artists in 1900s when Josef Drahonovsky became director of the engraving studio

Pueblo Español Glassworks
Barcelona, Spain (1928 - 1936 )

Founded by Bernardo Gordiola Manera (1889-1960) for the Barcelona Internation Exhibition of 1929, the glassworks remained in operation until the Spanish Civil War began, producing both reproductions of antique Spanish glassware & highly-enamelled wares

Nybro, Sweden (1871 to present)

Art glass from 1930s. Goran Warff, Ann Wärff (1959), Eva Englund (1964-). Bought by Gashbron 1984

Putzler Glashütte, Gebrüder
Germany (1869 - 1947)

Manufacturers of light-fittings. 3 designs registered in UK, 1930-1933. Listed as 'Gebrueder Putzler Glashuettenwerken'. Merged with Peill & Söhn in 1947 to form Peill & Putzler (see separate entry)

.... carry on to section  Q to R

back to top of page