home page
glass notes
photo library
shop windows
next page
previous page
e-mail us

A - B C - D E - G H I J K L - M N - P Q - R S T - V W - Z

glassware manufacturers: H to K

Hadelands Glassverk
Jevnaker, Norway (1762 to present)

Originally a bottle-manufacturer, began making table services etc. c 1850s. Sverre Pettersen (1928-49), Ståle Kyllingstad (1937-40s), Willy Johansson (1947-88), Herman Bongard (1947-55), Gerd Slang (1948-52, 1963-72), Arne Jon Jutrem (1950-), Severin Brørby (1956-60s), Benny Motzfeldt (1955-67), Gro Bergslien (née Sommerfelt, 1964-70s), Jens W Berg (1951-80), Edla Freij (1970s), Jon Gundersen, Jonas Hidle

Haden, Mullet & Haden
Stourbridge, England (c 1930s)

Coloured fancy glass, including reproduction antique threaded ware, old English waved ware, old Irish bubbly glass, opaque white "splashed" ware & marbled effects similar to Gray-Stan

Haida, Staatsfachschule (see Nový Bor Glass School)

Hailwood & Ackroyd
Morley, Leeds, England (1920s - 1930s)

Formerly Ackroyd & Best. Mainly lighting, but also cut, cased, coloured & enamelled tableware & decorative glass. 282 designs registered 1929-1937

Hale Thomson, Frederick
London, England (1849 - 1852)

Frederick Hale Thomson & Edward Varnish. Also W Lund, Thomas Mellish. Retailers & patentees (1849 & 1850) of double-walled silvered glass, which may have been manufactured for them by James Powell & Sons

Hands & Co, T J
Birmingham, England (? - 1931)

Lighting glass. Bought out Alfred Arculus & Co 1922. Taken over 1931 by John Walsh Walsh

Hantich & Co, E
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (1919 - ?)

Ernst Hantich (1893-1978) leased the Niederspreschkau glassworks from Josef Fickl, initially producing blanks for the refineries of Haida & Steinschönau. Went on to produce Art Glass and developed 'Johnolyth' glassware in 1931 (enamelled decoration sandwiched between two clear glass layers)

Harbridge Crystal Glass Co
Stourbridge, England (1924 - 1966)

Cut, engraved & cased glass. Leased space from Webb & Corbett 1955, from which date glass production ceased & the company only did decorating work. Finally absorbed by Webb & Corbett in 1957 (2 designs registered 1934 & 1936)

Hardy & Co Ltd, G
probably England (active c 1950s)

Name seen on silver/blue labels (also just as the initials G H) on imported 1950s Scandinavian & Murano glassware. Wholesaler known to have imported from Elme, Gadderås, Alsterfors, Alsterbro, Reijmyre & Sölvehyttan (and probably others), including commissioned, non-catalogue items

Harrach, Graf (Harrachov Glassworks)
Neuwelt (Nový Svêt), Bohemia (1763 to present)

Formerly Neuwelt Glassworks (est. 1630) Bought by Graf (Count) Harrach. Johann Pohl (1808-1848), Franz Pohl, Bohdan Kadlec (1884-1900), Julius Jelinek (1901-18), Jan Mallin (1901-13), Karel Lederle (1901), Jan Kotera (1903). Company nationalised in 1945. Miloš Pulpitel (1950s) (developed Haartil glassware 1955-), Milan Metelák (1955-90), Pavel Hlava (1970s). Commonly referred to as Harrachov (Harrach's) Glassworks. Bought out by František Novosad (a former glassworker) in 1993, now operates as 'Sklárna Novosad & Syn Harrachov'

Hartley, Wood & Co
Monkwearmouth, England (1895 - 1997)

James Hartley (grandson of James Hartley of the Wear Glass Works) & Alfred Wood (took over sole control in 1908). Stained glass, specialising in streaky coloured glass, which they later used to produce vases. Their equipment was subsequently briefly used by the ill-fated, public-funded Sunderland Glassworks (closed after 18 months), then purchased & used by the English Antique Glass Co Ltd (see current British glassworkers: C to F)

Hartmann & Dieterichs
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (1881 - 1938)

Arnost Hartmann & Hermann Dieterichs. Glass refiners

Hawkes & Co, T G
Corning, NY, USA (1880 - 1962)

Thomas Gibbons Hawkes. 'Rich Cut Glass Company'. Cutters of blanks from the Corning Glass Co. Made cut glass for the White House. Two of their cut glass patterns won the Grand Prize in the Paris Exposition of 1889. By turn of the century, renowned for the finest cut glass. Ceased trading 1962, assets acquired by Tiffin Art Glass Company in 1964

Hazel Atlas Glass Corporation
Wheeling, W Va, USA (1902 - 1960s)

Fusion of four companies: Hazel Glass & Metals Co (est 1887), Atlas Glass Co (est 1896), Wheeling Metal Plant, Republic Glass Co. Largest US manufacturer of glass containers. Became a subsidiary of Continental Can Co in 1957. Continued to make containers, glassware & tableware into the 1960s. In 1964, 10 of the 12 plants in operation were sold to Brockway Glass Co, and it is unsure if the H-A trademark was used after that

Heckert, Fritz
Warmbrunn (Cieplice), Silesia (1866 - 1923)

Glass refiner & manufacturer (from 1889), reproducing 17th & 18th Century German glass. Max Rade, Ludwig Sütterlin (both from 1900), Willy Meitzen. Merged with Josephinenhütte (see below)

Heepe & Co, Frederick Augustus
London, England (c 1880s)

1 design registered 1886. Listed as 'Frederick Augustus Heepe & Co, London. Importer & Agent'

Heiligenstein, Auguste
Paris, France (c 1920s)

Assistant to Marcel Goupy, as well as producing his own designs

Heine Bros & Co
London, England (c 1880s)

1 design registered in 1885. Listed as 'Heine Bros & Co, London. Importers'

Heisey & Co, A H
Newark, Ohio, USA (1893 - 1958)

Cut & pressed glass

Heppell & Co, W H
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England (1874 - mid 1880s)

Pressed glass (12 designs registered from 1874 to 1882). Moulds bought by Davidson's when the company folded in mid-1880s

Herbatte glassworks
Namur, Belgium (19th Century)

Cut & gilded glassware. Merged with Zoude & Jambes glassworks in 1867

Hessen Glaswerke
Stierstadt, Germany (1946 - 1990)

Mitlehner family from Jablonec. Iniitally produced coloured glass rods for the Jablonec jewellery business, & blanks nearby refinieries. Drinking-glasses, decanters, toilet articles etc
(the 1965 catalogue can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

USA (1948 - ?)

Frances Stewart & husband Michael Higgins (worked for Dearborn Glass 1958-66). Fused & slumped glassware

Hill, Charles E
Brighton, England (late 19th Century)

36 designs registered, 1888-1900. Listed as 'Charles E Hill, Brighton. Importer'

Hinrichs & Co
New York, N.Y., USA (late 19th Century)

1 design registered in UK in 1888. Listed as 'Hinrichs & Co, New York. Glass & China Merchant'

Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter
Stourbridge, England (1836 - 1870)

The Wordsley Glass Works. Benjamin Richardson, Philip Pargeter, William J Hodgetts (5 designs registered from 1865 to 1870)

Hodgetts, Richardson & Sons
Stourbridge, England (1871 - 1882)

The Wordsley Glass Works. Formerly Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter (Philip Pargeter left to take over Red House glassworks). William J Hodgetts patented glass-threading machine 6th May 1876. Cameo glass by Alphonse Lechevrel & his pupil, Joseph Locke (12 designs registered from 1872 to 1882)

Jablonec, Czechoslovakia (1867 - 1939)

Franz Hoffmannn. Succeeded by his son Heinrich in 1900. High quality pressed glass, usually featuring a butterfly trademark
(the 1927 catalogue can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Hoffmann, Gebrüder (Hoffmann Brothers)
Bernsdorf, Germany (1871 - c 1935)

Mainly lighting glassware until 1930s

Holmegaard (Holmegaards Glasvaerk Als)
Naestved, Denmark (1825 - 1965)

Orla Juul Mielsen (1924), Jacob Bang (1925-41), Per Lutken (1942-). Merged with Kastrup 1965 (see Kastrup-Holmegaard), now part of Royal Copenhagen group

Holyrood Flint Glass Works (see John Ford & Co)

Hope Glass Works
Ardsley, near Barnsley, England (1867 - 1927)

Ben Rylands (from Swinton Glass Works). Leased a second works in 1872 (the Dearne & Dove Glassworks at Wombwell). 1874 took out a license to manufacture the Codd bottle, 1877 going into partnership with Hiram Codd, who had a 20% interest. 1881 Ben died, and was succeeded by his son, Dan (then 31). 1884 the partnership between Rylands & Cobb was dissolved. Despite much legal wrangling between them, by 1885 Dan was supplying Codd's Patent Globe-Stoppered bottles to the whole UK & abroad. The manufacture of marbles became a secondary industry and Rylands had a manufacturing works for them in London. 1895 Tomlinsons of Manor Flint Glass Works, Stairfoot near the Hope Works also produced marbles for him. By 1888, Rylands owned 94 British and Foreign patents. By 1897, the works was known as 'The Rylands Glass & Engineering Co Ltd'. In the 1920's the Codd Bottle went out of fashion in favour of new screw caps, & the company went into receivership in 1927. An attempted buy-out of the company by Beatson Clark failed in 1928, but they did buy the land & buildings the following year

Hosch, Carl
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (1864 - 1938)

Glass refiner & exporter. Company nationalised after World War II

Hoskins, Rose & Co
London, England (1927 - c 1940s)

A C Rose, J J Hoskins. Glassware importers (58 designs registered from 1933 to 1940). Showroom in: Shoe Lane, London EC4 (destroyed in Blitz - moved to: 5 St Andrew Street, Holborn Circus, London EC4 in 1947

Hrastnik Glassworks (Steklarna Hrastnik)
Hrastnik, Slovenia (1860 to present)

Formerly Jurklošter Glassworks (est. 1790). Tableware, containers, lighting glassware. Briefly united with other local glassworks to form STS Abel (1921-1941)

Riihimäki, Finland (1952 - 1986)

Pertti Santlahti. Company bought out by Iittala

Hunebelle, André
France (1920s - 30s)

Designer & manufacturer of pressed frosted and/or opalescent geometric-patterned Art Deco glassware (after World War II became a noted film director!)

Iittala (a.k.a. Karhula-Iittala)
Finland (1881 - 1988)

Bought by Ahlstrom 1917, and merged with Karhula Glassworks, which they had acquired in 1915. Kaj Frank (1946-1950), Tapio Wirkkala (1946-85), Timo Sarpeneva (1950-). Alvar Aalto (1937-38)

Finland (1988 to present)

Amalgamation of Karhula-Iittala with Nuutajärvi-Notsjö. Art glass collection called "Pro Arte". Kaj Franck, Oiva Toikka, Heikki Orvola, Inkeri Toikka, Kerttu Nurminen, Markku Salo

Imperial Glass Co
Bellaire, Ohio, USA (1901 - 1984)

Mainly pressed glass (carnival glass from 1909), but produced Imperial Art Glass 1916-1930s

Indiana Glass Co
Dunkirk, Indiana, USA (1907 to present)

Originally the Beatty-Brady Glass Co, established 1896 in the former Dunkirk Locomotive & Car Repair Works by
George Brady & James Beatty, producing glass lamps, glass chimney tops, vases & some household glass. In 1899, the company merged into the National Glass Combine (a conglomeration of nineteen glass companies), trading as Indiana Glass Co from 1904. When the National Glass Combine failed in 1907, the glassworks was bought by Frank Merry, Harry Batsch, Harold Phillips, Charles Smalley, Rathburn Fuller & James Merry Overleaf, & the company incorporated under its new name. Industrial pressed glass, mainly automobile headlamp lenses, branching out into other areas such as hand-blown Soda Fountain items, restaurant ware, & crystal ware, introducing colour in the 1920s, & many popular Depression Glass patterns which were extensively reproduced post-War. Merged with The Lancaster Lens Co in 1955 & became part of the Lancaster Colony Corporation in 1962. The Dunkirk glassworks closed in 2002, but the name Indiana Glass is still used by the Lancaster Colony glassworks in Sapulpa, Oklahoma

Inwald, Josef
Havlíckuv Brod, Bohemia (1862 - 1958)

Opened further factories in Dobronín (1876), Zlíchow (1878), Siendorf (1884), Podebrady (1893) & Rudolfova Hut at Dubí u Teplic (1905). 1934 introduced the Barolac series (imported into UK by John Jenkins & Son). Inwald Sklárny National Corporation formed in 1948 upon nationalisation of Czech glass industry, later absorbing Pallme König, Koštany & Slanina glassworks. Corporation dismantled 1958 during reorganisation of Czech glass industry, but Koštany & Rudolfova Hut survived. 18 designs registered in the UK, 1913-1937. Listed as 'Glassworks Josef Inwald AG'

Irena Glassworks (Huta Szkla Gospodarczego Irena)
Inowroclaw, Poland (1924 to present)

Producers of cut crystal & soda glass wares; mainly drinking-glasses & vases

Island Studio Glass
Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK (c 1980 - c 1990s)

Sometimes (incorrectly) referred to as 'Guernsey Glass'. Founded with advice & help from Michael Harris. Hand-blown studio glassware, mainly small souvenir pieces such as vases, animal figures, paperweights etc., often with trademark Guernsey 'seal' (3 lions passant on a shield)

Isle of Wight Glass
St Lawrence, Isle of Wight, England (1972 to present)

Michael Harris (from Mdina Glass). Elizabeth Harris (Michael's wife, 1980s-), Timothy & Jonathan Harris (Michael's sons, late 1980s)

Islington Glass Works
Birmingham, England (19th Century)

Listed 1803 as operated by Owen Johnson. 1849 became Rice, Harris & Son. 1860 became the Islington Glass Co. Some paperweights include canes lettered 'IGW'

I Tre
Murano, Venice, Italy (1975 to present)

Lighting glass. Since 2002, a part of FDV Group

I.V.A.M. (Industrie Vetri Artistici Muranese)
Murano, Venice, Italy (c 1925 - 1931)

Otello Nason, Francesco Martinuzzi. Libero Vitali. Flavio Poli, Giovita Vitali, Aldo 'Polo' Bon

Jablonex Group
Desná, Czech Republic (2005 to present)

Formerly the state-owned Jablonec Glassworks (established c 1945), which incorporated several pre-War glassworks in the Desná valley, including those of Hoffmann & Schlevogt. Privatised in 1990, it was acquired by the Ornela company. Glassware sold under the name 'Desná Glass', much of it reproductions from the pre-War moulds of the original companies


Jaffe Rose & Co Ltd
London, England (1939 - 1991)

Believed to be importers of (probably mainly) Czech glassware, including paperweights & 'solifleur' vases with controlled bubbles. Showroom at: 29-30 Holborn Viaduct, London EC1. Exhibitors at the 1947 British Industries Fair, listed as 'manufacturers'. Liquidators appointed in 1991, but they may have ceased trading in 1986 (possibly some connection to Hoskins, Rose & Co?)

Jambes glassworks
Namur, Belgium (19th Century)

Merged with Zoude & Herbatte glassworks 1867

Jarvil (see Delatte, André)

Jeannette Specialty Glass
Jeannette, Pa, USA (1904 to present)

Originally Jeannette Shade & Novelty Co. Since 1976, specialises in commercial & industrial borosilicate glass products


Jefferson Glass Co
Follansbee, W Va, USA (1900 - 1933)

Pressed glass, including 'Krys-Tol' (from 1908 to 1918)

Jena Glassworks (see Schott & Genossen)

Jenkins & Son, John
London, England (c 1934 - 1950s)

Importers & retailers of glassware. Mostly opalescent or frosted pressed glass, manufactured in Czechoslovakia. Registered the 'Barolac' trademark in the UK in 1935, on behalf of the Josef Inwald company

Jesurum & C.
Murano, Venice, Italy (late 19th - early 20th C)

Formed 'Salviati, Jesurum & C' along with Salviati & C., Venice Art Co, and Pagliarin & Franco as a co-operative venture, to represent their joint interests in London

Jobling & Co, James A
Sunderland, England (1921 - 1975)

Pressed glass. Took over Henry Greener in 1886, and traded as Greener & Co until 1921. Mainly functional cookware (including Pyrex), but produced relief-moulded art glass ware (including Opalique) 1933-39. Absorbed into Corning 1975 (42 designs registered from 1926 to 1940)

Småland, Sweden (1891 to present)

A Ahrends, F O Israelsson. C A Askenberg (1920s), Gunnar Håkansson (1930s), Gustaf Hallberg (1930s-40s), Bengt Orup (1952-73), Erik & Margareta Hennix (1964-67), Ingegerd Råman (1968-71). Bought by Åfors Group 1972

Jo-He-Ky (see Josephinenhütte)

Johnsen & Jorgensen Flint Glass
London, England (c 1920s - 30s)

Importers & wholesalers of pressed flint tableware, including the Talisman pattern

Jonasson, Mats (see Målerås)

Josephinenhütte (Schaffgott'sche [Gräflich] Glasfabrik Josephinenhütte)
Schreiberhau, Silesia, Germany (1842 - 1979)

Founded 1842 by Franz Pohl (1813-1884) for Count Leopold von Schaffgottsch (named in honor of his wife Josephine). 1843 merged with Karlsthalhütte (N Bohemia). Winners of 6 gold medals at international fairs, 1844 - 1937. 1923 formed partnership with Fritz Heckert (of Petersdorf). 1923 merged with Neumann & Staebe (of Hermsdorf in Kynast). 1923 the three glassworks formed 'Jo-He-Ky', trading as 'Josephinenhütte AG JO-HE-KY' from 1925. Post World War II: (a) Schreiberhau became Szklarska, Poland. 1946 the Petersdorf (Heckert) machinery was taken to the USSR, but Josephinenhütte was able to continue production as 'Huta Jozefina', changing name to 'Huta Julia' in 1958 when sued by the former owners, finally closing in 2000. The glassworks then moved to Petersdorf (now Piechowice) trading today as 'Julia Crystal'. (b) 1945 Schaffgottsch family fled the area (by then Poland), ending up in Schwäbisch Gmünd (Germany) in 1951, where they built a new Josephinenhütte. 1958 buy out the Cäcilienhütte (founded 1948 by the Oertel family). 1963 company sold to Villeroy & Boch, becoming fully integrated in 1979. Schwäbisch Gmünd glassworks closed in 1983
(various catalogues, from 1925 to 1970, can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Joska Kristall
Bodenmais, Germany (1960 to present)

Founded by Josef Kagerbauer in 1960 in the Bavarian Forest, where glass has been made for some 700 years. His son (also Josef) now runs the company, which specialises in crystal trophies, but also produces decorative items & stemware

Julia Glassworks (Huta Julia Szklarska)
Piechowice, Poland (c 1935 to present)

Originally the old Josephinenhütte glassworks. Nationalised after World War II, it traded as 'Huta Jozefina', changing to 'Huta Julia' in 1958 as a result of a lawsuit by the former owners. In 2000 the glassworks moved to Piechowice, trading today as 'Julia Crystal'

Kagami Crystal Co
Tokyo, Japan (1934 to present)

Kozo Kagami (a pupil of Wilhelm von Eiff). Pressed & cut glass

Kamenický Šenov Glass School (formerly: Staatsfachschule Steinschönau, now: Stredni Umeleckoprumyslová Škola Sklárská Kamenický Šenov)
Steinschönau (Kamenický Šenov), Bohemia (1856 to present)

Initially founded as 'School of Drawing and Modelling', under the directorship of Johann (Jan) Dvorácek, a painter & sculptor. Engraving taught (from 1880) by Karl Pietsch. Leo Chilla, architect, became director in 1885. Karl Lorenz (c 1909), Adolfa Beckerta (c 1911-19), Prof. Görlicha (c 1931), Hermann Zeh (c 1931). Became known as the State Trade School for glassmaking
(two undated catalogues from about the 1950s can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

Kanawha Glass Co
Dunbar, W Va, USA (1953 - 1983)

Hand-pressed tableware, novelties & giftware

Kastrup Glasværk
Kastrup, Copenhagen, Denmark (1847 - 1965)

Jacob Bang (1957-65). Merged with Holmegaard 1965

Denmark (1965 to present)

Michael Bang, Per Lutken. Merged with Royal Copenhagen 1985. Amalgamated with Boda Nova-Höganäs Keramik, Orrefors Kosta Boda, & Venini to form Royal Scandinavia

Kempton & Sons, C H
Lambeth, London, England (1874 - 1920)

The Albert Glassworks. Charles Henry Kempton & his six sons. 23 designs registered 1886-1897. Partnership dissolved 1917. C H Kempton leaves to found Lambeth Glass Works. Most of his sons leave to other industrial glass works. Richard Kempton stays on, with his son, Reginald, & when the company finally fails in 1920, founds Southwark Glass Works (which moves to Broxbourne in 1928 & becomes the Nazeing Glass Works)

Ker, Webb & Co
Manchester, England (c 1865 - 1880)

The Prussia Street Flint Glass Works. 10 designs registered from 1868 to 1876

Kerr Glass Manufacturing Corporation
Lancaster, Pa, USA (1903 to present)

Alexander H Kerr. Originally the Hermetic Fruit Jar Company, incorporated in Delaware. Earliest Kerr jars were made for the company by Illinois Pacific Glass Co & Hazel Atlas Co. Went public in 1970. Became Kerr Group Inc in 1992. Home canning supplies, self-seal glass jars for preserves, jelly etc, now also plastic food containers

Kew Blas (see Union Glass Co)

Key Glassworks
Wembley, Middlesex, England (1908 - 1962)

Bottles & jars for the medical, pharmaceutical & cosmetic trades. Amalgamated with City Glass Bottle Co in 1952. Acquired by UGB in 1962

Kilner, John
Wakefield, Yorkshire, England (1829 - 1937)

Bottle & jar manufacturer, & producer of 'dumps' (1829 - c 1855). Also of Castleford, Conisburgh, & Thornhill Lees in Yorkshire, with an office in London, operating under various names. Company exhibited at 1922 British Industries Fair as 'Manufacturers of glass bottles & jars for all purposes, sole makers of the "Kilner" jars for preserving fruits and vegetables'. Went bankrupt in 1937, & all patents were sold to the United Glass Bottle Co

Kimble Glass Co
Vineland, N.J., U.S.A. (1911 to present)

Col. Evan F Kimble. Manufacturers of laboratory glassware. Bought out Vineland Flint Glass Works c 1931. Acquired Kontes Glass 1982. Since 1997, part of the Gerresheimer group. Now trade as 'Kimble Chase'

King's Lynn Glass
King's Lynn, Norfolk, England (1967 - 1969)

Ronald Stennett-Willson (formerly of J Wuidart & Co). Hand-blown studio glass in Scandinavian style (some Swedish glassblowers brought in). Taken over by Wedgwood Glass

Klodzko-Ustronie, Poland (c 1990s to present )

Joint enterprise with 'Violetta, 'Sudety', 'Irena', 'Zawiercie' & 'Julia Crystal' glassworks

Komáromy, Istvan
London, England (1930s - 1960s)

Born 1910 of Hungarian parents, he learnt to lamp-work laboratory glassware as a medical student. He soon discovered a talent for making Art Deco figures, animals, drinking-glasses etc, which won multiple awards in various European countries. He settled in UK in 1935, taking British citizenship in 1952, & was subsequently the subject of two BBC programmes. His work was collected by many prominent people, including Queen Mary. Died 1975. His creations are often mis-attributed to the Bimini Werkstätte, his buttons (which he was first to make, albeit briefly) to Orplid. Moved to Shirley, Croydon in 1939 when his Leinster Gardens studio was bombed

Koninklijke Nederlandsche Glasfabriek, N.V. (see Leerdam)

Kosta Glasbruk
Småland, Sweden (1742 - 1976)

Founded by Anders Koskull & Georg Bogislaus Staël von Holstein (name from first syllables of founders' surnames combined). Gallé imitations by Gunnar G Wennerberg (1898-1903). Edvard Strömberg (1917). Artists hired as designers: Edvin Ollers (1917-), Sven Erixson (1920s/30s), Evald Dahlskog (1926-29), Sven Erik Skawonius, Sten Branzell, Elis Bergh (1927-c 1960). Post-war: Victor Emanuel 'Vicke' Lindstrand (1950-73), Goran & Ann Wärff (1964-)
(some old Kosta pattern books are now held in the archives of Dudley council, apparently brought to the UK by Sven Fogelberg when he joined Thomas Webb & Sons

Kosta Boda
Småland, Sweden (1976 - 1990)

Trading name of Åfors Group (Åfors, Johansfors, Kosta & Boda merged). Bertil Vallien. Bengt Edenfalk (1978 - from Skruf). Sigurd Persson, Lisa Bauer (engraver), Ulrica Hydman-Vallien, Kjell Engman (1978-), Ken Done, Ann Wåhlström, Göran Wärff, Anna Ehrner, Olle Brozén, Åsa Jungnelius, Ludvig Löfgren. Merged 1990 with Orrefors, to form Orrefors Kosta Boda, which subsequently amalgamated with Kastrup-Holmegaard, Boda Nova-Höganäs Keramik & Venini to form Royal Scandinavia in 1997

Kothgasser, Anton
Vienna, Austria (1769 - 1851)

Highly-skilled enamellist of Biedermeier-style drinking-glasses. 1784-1816 was employed as a porcelain decorator at the Imperial Porcelain factory in Vienna (1717-1864)

Kralik Söhn, Wilhelm
Eleonorenhain (Lenora), Bohemia (1881 - 1938)

Heinrich & Johann Kralik (sons of Wilhelm Ritter von Kralik; see Meyr's Neffe). Formerly of Meyr's Neffe. Hand-blown studio glass. Commercial cameo glass signed "D'Aurys" and "Soleil"

Krause & Auerbach
London, England (c 1890s)

1 design registered in UK in 1892. Listed as 'Krause & Auerbach, London. Foreign Agents'

Kristallglas GmbH
Oberursel, Germany (1947 - 1971)

Franz Burkert (from Brüder Rachmann). Scent-bottles, atomisers, ashtrays, decanters, drinking-glasses. Merged with Hessen Glaswerke in 1971, the two companies trading as Cristallerie Oberursel. Went into liquidation 1990

Kristalunie, N.V. (see Maastricht)

Krosno Glassworks (Krosnienskie Huty Szkla 'Krosno')
Krosno, Poland (1923 to present)

1967 incorporated into Jaslo. 2008 merged with Tarnow Glassworks. Soda glass wares; mainly drinking-glasses & vases. Went into bankruptcy 2009, but production still continuing

Krug & Mundt
Leipzig, Germany (late 19th - early 20thC)

Pressed, cut, engraved, enamelled, hot-formed domestic glassware of all types
(the 1906 catalogue can be seen at www.glas-musterbuch.de)

U.S.A. (c 1900 - 1920s)

Trade-name used in succession by the Ohio Flint Glass Co (c 1900 to 1908), then by the Jefferson Glass Co (of Follansbee, W Va - 1908 to 1918), then by the Central Glass Works (1919 onward). A range of pressed glass, including Chippendale , which was imported into England by National Glass Co, London

Kulka, Wenza
Haida (Nový Bor), Bohemia (1917 - 1938)

Refiner; enamelling, engraving & cutting, especially (Vienna) Modern style, similar to Moser

Riihimäki, Finland (1936 - 1976)

Pentti Sarpaneva. Company bought out by Humppila

.... carry on to section  L to M

back to top of page